> and running out of swap on a running system is *not* something you want
> to have happen, ever. It creates quite the headache.

That is quite true. A historical anecdote: a friend of mine and early
linxu adopter (1993ish) had a 386 dx 4 meg RAM system. Back then it
was fairly serviceable - I myself had a working SLS linux install on a
packard bell 386sx/16 with 4 megs (later upgrading to 8).

At any rate, friend decided not to install a swap partition. Bad move,
especially on a machine with not much RAM available. And, my friend
was then and still is a rather "casual" and light user of the system,
mostly doing editing and so forth using emacs. Well, of course, on a
small footprint machine you can barely fit kernel+some
deamons+bash+emacs in RAM. Needless to say, he exceeded his resources
and his machine seemingly locked up. But he didn't reboot. He hit
ctrl-x ctrl-c to quit/save Emacs ---

and guess what --- 45 *minutes* later, he got his shell prompt
back. Yes, that's right. 45 *minutes*! All that time the kernel (which
was likely pre-1.0 then) or more properly, the memory management
system, rummaging through pages panicing trying to find room.