On Saturday 08 February 2003 09:24 am, Russ wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I understand that the swap partition should be about twice that of your
> physical ram. I have 256megs and when I allow MD to partition itself, that
> is the size of the swap partition it makes. Shouldn't it be 512?
>
> I seem to remember (from previous tries in the past) that there was an
> issue of Linux not reading all the ram. There was a file that the person
> was directed to and told to edit it to what his ram was. Does anyone out
> there know what I am talking about?
>
> Thanks
> Russ

Not really off subject Russ but:

Just out of curiosity I allowed the automatic/default install of Mandrake
9.1beta2 to partition, format, and otherwise manipulate, a new hard drive
since I was having so much fun installing it. I clicked "Use the whole disk"
or whatever the terminology is for automatic. I did this under the theory
that if I didn't screw with/up any settings or configurations it may be that
I'd learn what was broken. Since I had a new 40 GB Maxtor sitting here I
swapped out one of the 60 GB hard drives and went nuts.

/usr ended by being (in my opinion) too small, /var way too large, no separate
/boot, and the swap size was set at 403 MB. This box runs 768 MB of RAM;
previously a full 1024 but the motherboard is old and it's lost it's ability
to communicate with one of the 4 slots.

"Back in the day" it was a good rule of thumb to have swap=double (or 2.5x)
the available physical memory, but I remember reading somewhere that this is
no longer necessary. If you have the space to spare (I do) go for it if it
makes you feel better, but when I reinstalled to "full cooker" I
repartitioned to have a separate /boot and kept the swap size at
approximately 400 MB. No trouble so far.

Regards;
--
Charlie
Edmonton,AB,Canada