On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 05:35:43PM -0700, FemmeFatale wrote:

> I'm going to risk abolishment to M$hits camp here or excommunication from
> the Linux community by saying this... but what else is new?
>
> Russ I have to agree with you luvy.  Most ppl love eye candy.  I know I
> do.  I use Evolution for now but I love Sylpheed too.  For the avg person,
> HTML mail is wonderfully put together eye candy.  People are visually
> inclined mostly.  (Men moreso than women;  women are more auditorially
> oriented).  OTOH, there are still tons of ppl out there on very lowed comps
> with very simple email programs on those computers.  For them, HTML email
> is a PITA & just chokes their bandwidth/computers.

<snip>

You must have some artistic/creative/designer-type friends, because all
of the HTML mail eye candy I get is spam. And from all the spam, most is
not eye candy but really poorly designed (I know from seeing the wife's
spam in Mozilla).

But I do get HTML mail from some friends, and it is just plain--they
don't spend hours designing a mail template, or spend any time doing
anything remotely interesting with the mail. In fact, most don't have
any idea they're sending HTML mail because they use Outhouse or
something and they just go with the default settings. For that reason,
I think HTML is a waste. I mean, if you're going to waste the bandwidth,
at least spend some time designing a nice stylesheet or something! And,
no tables--if you can't design columns using a stylesheet, you shouldn't
be allowed to send HTML mail!

But it is indeed wonderful for spam.

Todd