Stephen Kuhn wrote:

On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 22:17, John Richard Smith wrote:

I am getting random intermittent monditor shutdown and return when
under X windows. It does not seem to happen under W2K.

I have W2K, M9.0, and M9.1beta3 on, with spare ext2+ NT partitions .

I seemed to begin after I installed beta3, though I'm not suggesting one
way or the other , whether that has anything at all to do with it.

Any thoughts ?

John

I'd be led to wonder if it's a flaky "Energy Savings" issue - are you in
KDE, or GrrrrrrrGNOME?

I'm in kde.
sorry to say I seldom choose gnome, though I do install it.

Yes, maybe you are right. I can be doing something , anything at all, answering
this email, literally anything, and you get that Thungggg sound from the monitor,
a black screen for a second and then a return to desktop exactly where you were
when it went down. It's definately not a dodgy screen saver problem, so I suppose
that only leaves APM, but if so it's in both M9.0 and M9.1beta3.
Now, I just took a look at linux kernel configurator and it did say APM was
enabled, ie ticked, so I disabled it for a while to see if that helps.I suppose
I ought to of looked there earlier. I cannot do the same in M9.1beta3 as
the kde kernel confiurator programme is not there . Unless someone
knows how to turn it off permanently on the Cl it will have to stay enabled
if indeed it is.

John

--
John Richard Smith