Hello,
        Unfortunately, I have repeated the install/uninstall process an
innumerable number of times already and spent several hours trying
countless different ideas to get it running consistently.  It seems that
the VIA chipset may be the culprit as it is noted to have problems with
webcams in general.  I will probably resort to buying a PCI USB
card(maybe even a 2.0!).
--
        Thank you,

        Vincent A. Primavera.