On Tuesday 11 March 2003 13:34, mycal62 wrote:
> this is what that port does :
>
> efs             520/tcp    extended file name server
> router          520/udp    local routing process (on site);
> #                          uses variant of Xerox NS routing
> #                          information protocol - RIP
>
> here's a handy reference to all ports and their use :
>
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers
>
> Mike

I've been there, though I must admit I'm not sure what exactly is meant by (on
site).

My poblem is how to get rid of all these log entries. Reading the logs isn't
the real problem 'cause filtering out port 520 using "grep -v" works quit
well. When the (400Mb) HD gets to 100% full everything gets quiet but then I
don't get anymore logs.

Like I said all this logging activity makes a lot of noise as well. My
firewall is an old P133 with smoothwall on it. AL the fans have been removed
leaving only the HD that physically moves/makes noise and I've even packed
that in isolation foam.
Especially early mornings, when I feel lucky if I find the coffee machine
without falling down the cellar-stairs first, I tend to get nerved by the
clicketyclicking.
Frankly, those are the realy serious mornings 'cause we don't even have a
cellar here being below sea-level:o(

I would like to block these scans from my ISP but like I said I'm not sure
what the consequences might be. These boxes are up 24/24 and I'm away quite
often i.e. don't have physical acces so I have to be 100% sure of what I'm
doing. Not logging these scans was a sort of compromise (with maybe a slight
risk)  from my point of view but I don't know how to do that.

Good hunting,
HarM