I'd just like to mention a few things, as follows:
At 05:30 PM 3/13/2003 +0000, you wrote:

>Brian wrote:
>> I am told that some Linux distributions have a non-GUI mode where you
>
>brian,
>
>to exit 'X', as it may be your ref to 'gui', pressing 'ctrl+alt+backspace'
>drops you to cli, command line input, 'non-gui'.

if you press ctrl+alt+backspace in runlevel 5, you won't drop to cli, but
instead will restart the X server.
>changing to 'console' from X to cli is by pressing 'ctrl+alt+fn', where
>'fn' is function keys f1 thru f6.

The default is f1 - f6, yes, but you can add more if you want (or remove
them) by looking at /etc/inittab, and
adding or removing lines such as:
6:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6

>changing 'consoles' from cli is by pressing 'alt+fn', where 'fn' is function
>keys f1 thru f6, and f7 returns you to X, if previously open. else use
'startx'.

>have a look thru 'linux documents', /usr/share/doc/mandrake/en/index.html,
>on your desktop. there you will find info for boot process and init files.
Or, to get more recent copies, try http://www.tldp.org

Michael

--
Michael Viron
Manager of Online Operations / Project Manager