> I'm about to install Mandrake Linux on my laptop and like to know the difference
> between those two. I guess I need to download ISO images 3 CDs where first one is
> bootable but what is the 'Mandrake Linux 9.0 for i586 and higher' download for. Do I
> need anything from there?

Well, yes.  i586 is simply an indication that Mandrake is designed for
Pentiums and better CPUs. 486s may have a problem.

You really want all three disks, since the RPMs are pretty much
scattered across all three. I was under the impression that CD#1 was
basically the base installation, with CD#2 and CD#3 optional, but I
found that the labels are a bit misleading. CD#3 for nistance is
labeled 'internationalization' which seems to suggest that it is not
needed unless you live outside the US where language support (other
than US English) is needed but there are other packages on that CD
that are important nevertheless.