On Friday 21 Mar 2003 2:33 pm, Richard Urwin wrote:
> On Friday 21 Mar 2003 1:29 pm, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> > On Thursday March 20 2003 05:16 pm, Richard Urwin wrote:

> I did open the CD in Konquerer immediately after the burn, just to make
> sure the data was there. This time through I closed GCombust first. (And
> closed konquerer before trying to eject, of course.)

I experience this open/fast close from time to time after browsing cds.   It
is clear that you must make abosolutely certain that no Konqueror windows are
open before  you try to eject.  I think it would also mean that you must not
be browsing the directory in a shell, either.

Still there appear to be times when that isn't enough.  Sometimes it sorts
itself out after a while, but if it gets stuck, I generally log out, then in
again.

> > It's likely just coincidental that by the time you ran that
> > command, whatever has holding on to the burner had released it. Next
> > time try 'eject /dev/scd0' (or scd? depending on which ? your burner
> > is). 'Course if you're burning as root (you shouldn't be) you'll need
> > to run the eject command as root.
>
> $ eject /dev/scd0                        # Came out, went back in again
> $ sudo umount -l /mnt/cdrom2
> Password:
> $ eject /dev/scd0                        # Came out, stayed out
>
> While I grant that that sequence took thirty seconds or so, and things may
> have changed between the two ejects, that was a lot less time than I took
> fiddling with it last night.
>
> It stands to reason that the burner must lock the drive closed while the
> burn is happening. I don't know how that happens. Even if it isn't a mount
> it might still have a similar effect on the top level mount/umount/eject
> functionality.

I don't burn from the command line.  Both XCDRoast and K3b have a setting to
eject on completion, and I always use that.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302