I've just gone through the process again.

On Friday 21 Mar 2003 3:28 pm, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 21 Mar 2003 2:33 pm, Richard Urwin wrote:
> > On Friday 21 Mar 2003 1:29 pm, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> > > On Thursday March 20 2003 05:16 pm, Richard Urwin wrote:
> >
> > I did open the CD in Konquerer immediately after the burn, just to make
> > sure the data was there. This time through I closed GCombust first. (And
> > closed konquerer before trying to eject, of course.)
>
> I experience this open/fast close from time to time after browsing cds.
> It is clear that you must make abosolutely certain that no Konqueror
> windows are open before  you try to eject.  I think it would also mean that
> you must not be browsing the directory in a shell, either.
>
> Still there appear to be times when that isn't enough.  Sometimes it sorts
> itself out after a while, but if it gets stuck, I generally log out, then
> in again.

This time I closed GCombust and ejected the CD before opening konquerer. Once
from the button on the drive, once using eject. Both worked perfectly. Then I
opened the CD using konquerer. No files. I then mounted the CD by hand (sudo
mount /mnt/cdrom2.) The files appeared. Then I tried to eject the CD. No
dice, the button is ignored and eject does the now-you-see-it-now-you-dont
routine. I unmounted the CD by hand. The first time it refused "device is
busy." But it had only just retracted, and the drive was probably reading the
index. I waited a second or two and the second umount worked. This time I got
everything working without the -l flag to umount, so that is probably a red
herring. My guess is that a standard umount will work, so long as you give it
a while after a failed eject.

Supermount was enabled at all times.

Conclusion: Burning CDs can confuse supermount. Expect to mount/umount by
hand. Wait for the drive to finish following a failed eject.

I have finished my backups for now. I'll leave it to others to determine if
ejecting and reinserting the disk after burning but before trying to read it
reduces problems.

> > > It's likely just coincidental that by the time you ran that
> > > command, whatever has holding on to the burner had released it. Next
> > > time try 'eject /dev/scd0' (or scd? depending on which ? your burner
> > > is). 'Course if you're burning as root (you shouldn't be) you'll need
> > > to run the eject command as root.
> >
> > $ eject /dev/scd0                        # Came out, went back in again
> > $ sudo umount -l /mnt/cdrom2
> > Password:
> > $ eject /dev/scd0                        # Came out, stayed out
> >
> > While I grant that that sequence took thirty seconds or so, and things
> > may have changed between the two ejects, that was a lot less time than I
> > took fiddling with it last night.
> >
> > It stands to reason that the burner must lock the drive closed while the
> > burn is happening. I don't know how that happens. Even if it isn't a
> > mount it might still have a similar effect on the top level
> > mount/umount/eject functionality.
>
> I don't burn from the command line.  Both XCDRoast and K3b have a setting
> to eject on completion, and I always use that.

GCombust is GUI, and was installed with MDK9.0
XCDRoast did not seem to be able to construct a CD, just to copy one. I may be
wrong.

--
Richard Urwin