David,

I installed Star Office 5.1 successfully from a CD-ROM yesterday, so
perhaps I can help you out.  I installed is as a single user
installation, so if you want a network installation or something else
maybe someone else will help out. First of all are you shure you
downloaded the version for Linux?  It could be in a zip file, but I
would have expected a .tar.

Here are your steps:

1. Log in as a regular user (not root)

2. Start X-Windows -- unless it starts automatically. (either the Gnome
or K Desktop environments should work -- I have KDE)

3. OK, you don't need to worry about the "SETUP.BIN", you need a file
simply called "setup".  It's a script, as if you needed to know. If the
downloaded files are like the CDROM, it will be in the /linux/office51
directory of the directory where you unzipped the archive.

If you have KDE, try it this way:  click the K Button>Disk
Navigator>Home>The Directory Where you Unzipped>linux>office51 then
press Shift while  you click on "Open Folder" at the top of the menu.
This will open a terminal window already in the right directory.

If you don't have KDE, you'll need to use a terminal emulator and cd to
this directory before proceeding.

4.  Last step:  type "./setup"

That worked for me.  Hope it helps you out.  I'm a nebiew as well and
didn't do this the first time.  KDE locked up with my initial attempt
(clicking on the "setup" file), but the installation only took about 4
minutes when I used these steps.

Jeremy Kersenbrock
[EMAIL PROTECTED]