Hi all...

For the last 7 years or so I thought that Windows had no
security at all. Until today.

But first things first : I don't have Windows on my box. In
no way, manner, shape or form. Only Mandrake 9.0.

Well, a modification is needed here :

My box is set up with 4 users : My ever-beloved wife, my two
daughters and the man himself. (Our two cats use it as
well, but only because it's a nice, warm place to take a
nap).

We respect each others privacy. Accordingly the
security-level is set to *high*. We can't peep into each
others stuff. Fine. But we have a lot in common. We have
various family-related stuff, letters, and the family
photo-album.

Now, the last time the *sysadmin* (me) installed Mandrake he
wanted to show off : creating a *common* partition on the
80 GB drive. In fact, besides the usual / , swap and /home
partitions - all ReiserFS - he created a fourth : a FAT32
partition (/dev/hda4). The reason for FAT32 (VFAT) was
simple : a Windows-FS. No permission issues, no security at
all, free access to everyone, everything in public,
belly-up.

Surprise, surprise. Initially everything was perfect, but
after a few weeks the FAT32 partition seems to close its
*Gates*. - Normally it would have *dwrxrwxrwx* permissions,
meaning that it was showing off nude in public. But maybe
it's getting shy : now the permission are *dwrxr-xr-x*,
meaning that only root (me again) can write to it.

That - of course - triggered my filthy phantasy. I tried to
become root and change the permissions by issuing the
command : chmod 777 * .

Guess what ?  : No effect at all !

Then : chmod u+w * ...... : Operation not permitted !!!!

And so on and so forth.

Conclusion : Bill Gates finally found a way to defeat even a
linux - ROOT.

At least on my box.

Kaj Haulrich.
--