On Friday 21 Mar 2003 7:41 pm, Teilhard Knight wrote:
> Hello. First time I post here. I find it rather to our disadvantage that we
> newbies are kept packed together. Sometimes we have problems which need the
> intervention of an experienced user. But anyway, I'll try to keep my
> questions not too complicated.
>
> Problem is, my Mandrake doesn't recognize my USB ports. When I installed,
> they were disabled in the BIOS. I do not have the slightest idea of how
> they got disabled. Now, I have a USB printer, and I want to have it local,
> so I need those ports. Any suggestions on how to solve this?
>

> Teilhard Knight
> The Extraterrestrial
>
> Who ate my sandwich?

Well assuming you have now enabled the ports in BIOS, edit the file
/etc/modules.conf and add a line

probeall usb-interface uhci

If that does not work replace uhci with ohci to use the 'other' usb driver

Then just go through the printer wizard in Mandrake Control Centre and it will
install your printer for you.

HTH

derek
--