http://archives.mandrakelinux.com/cooker/2002-09/msg05544.php
> >  I tried to follow some of the tips, but without
> any
> > success :(
> > Has anyone on this forum tried installing Mandrake
> 9.0
> > on M787CL+ mainboard? Is there any method through
> > which 9.0 may be installed?
> >
> > Irfan
>
> Irfan, are you passing any parameters to the kernel
> when you're doing
> the installation? What is your partition table setup
> - that's going to
> help alot - and if you can tell us what size
> partitions you're using for
> the installation - that would help heaps as well,
> mate...Cheers!

my first few installation attempts were quite
'normal': i inserted Mandrake 9.0 CD#1, and started
the computer. a graphical screen appears [F1 for more
options; <enter> to install...]. after a few seconds,
it displays "Please Wait | Loading program into
memory" with a progress bar, and then an error occurs
in the very beginning:

> > error in exec of stage2 :-(
> > trying to execute '/usr/bin/runinstall2' from the
> > installation volume, the following fatal error
> > occurred
> > FATA ERROR IN STAGE1: Not a directory

i have reasons to believe that the harddisk is not a
problem here; the problem occurs much before it could
ask me to partition/format the disk.

based on what i read at
http://archives.mandrakelinux.com/cooker/2002-09/msg05544.php
my understanding is that the M787CL+ reports itself to
be a i686 class machine and Mandrake puts in glibc
package optimized for i686. only if there is a way to
stop this and let Mandrake use glibc for i586. i guess
that Mandrake 9.1 may have corrected this, but i
cannot download 690+ MB ISOs at the moment.

is there some way that Mandrake 9.0 is forced to use
glibc for i586?

irfan