> workstation and started to enjoy it. Right now I am getting excited with
> the new features and upgraded performance from the latest Mdk 9.1. But I
> am really not sure - is there a way to upgrade without affecting all my

You really shouldn't have to do all that over again. Most of your
local tweaks will affect files in /etc and in your home directory. I
recommend making a backup of /etc/ as an upgrade may play with some of
those files. Ideally, an upgrade won't alter any configuration files
and they normally save off the old configuration for you, or put a
new one in whateverconfigfile.rpmnew.

You should also make a backup of /home just to be safe, but in a
normal install or upgrade you can tell it not to fdisk the /home or
other partitions. I recommend saving the output of 'mount' so you
don't accidentally wipe out an unintended partition. Ideally, print it
out.