I sent this about 8 hours ago but I do not see it in the list:

"I went to nvidia.com downloaded the new Windows drivers and installed them.
(thanks Greg). I also downloaded some Linux drivers but there are a raft of
them and it was not clear which might work.  I will pass on rebuilding
source code until I am better educated.  I will try downloading from the
club.  Meanwhile as you and Greg suggest, edit to "change nvidia to nv".  I
think I can manage that.

The Windows screen looks softer and more colorful and the mouse moves
steadier since the new NVIDIA drivers were installed.  Since I got error
messages about messing up Linux by turning the power off I will do another
install to make it clean, then reboot and if I get the command line again
will edit nvidia to nv.

I will let you know how it comes out.  Thanks for the help.
Leo"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current:
I have tried a number of the suggestions, to the best of my ability, but
still no go.  I have joined the MDK club and in 24 hours I should be able to
download the 9.1 compatible NVIDIA drivers.  If I can find the right ones,
and if I can install them correctly, 9.1's screen should work as well as
9.0's.

I used vi to change /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (there wasn't any X8Config-4)
Driver from Nvidia to nv.  Shutdown, reboot, back to the black screen and
command line.
From root, startX and crash.
Log file "/var/log/xfree86.0.log" using config file "etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
Using VT 7
(WW)(NV(0): failed to set up write combining range (0xd4000000, 0x2000000)
(II) [GLX]" Calling GlxExtensionsInit
Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting.

What ever all that means.  "nv" went further than "Nvidia" but it looks like
GLX stopped it.

I also reran Xfdrake at the command line (reduced resolution) and crashed
when I entered startx.
So, I will get hold of the right video drivers, install them and try again
later.

Thanks for the help and the tutorials.
Leo