On Sunday 30 March 2003 11:39 pm, Computa User wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm using KDE in Mandrake Linux 9.1.  I want to add
> 'Root' as an option on the login screen [Right now it
> only shows a normal user].  Does anybody know how I
> can do that?
>
> Thanks.

Users below UID 500 or so are not displayed in gdm, kdm, or mdkkdm(or whatever
that thing is) display managers.  This is because you are not supposed to
login with system level UID's.  Eh, unless you know exactly what you are
doing.  Anything below 500 is, if memory serves, considered to be a system
level ID.  Display managers show all users above 500.

In windows systems up to 2k you are automatically the equivalent of root with
whatever id you log in as.  This goes against the multiuser and security
philosophy of Unix systems since their advent in or around 1969; for a
bazillion good reasons.

The accepted method for root access is to log in as a regular user and then
use an Eterm to run su.  Normal non-system applications in Linux (like X, for
instance) are not meant to be run as root and therefore can introduce a
multitudinous plethora of concerns, both of security and armageddon.

System level applications that require root access will prompt you for a root
password on their own.

--LX

--
Kernel 2.4.21-0.11mdk   LM91-RC3