> I've got a system running Mandrake 8.0.  Support for the 8.0 version was
> just discontinued and I'd like to keep security updates current.

If you really don't want to upgrade your distro, you could strip the
install down to the bare essentials and use the SRPMS to recompile the
newer, patched versions of the servers and their dependencies.  Also,
upgrade to a newer kernel.  Just download the source rpms of each,
install, and then change to /usr/src/RPM/SPECS.  Execute "rpm -bb
<specfilename.spec>" to build the package for your system.  If you get a
dependency error, either install or rebuild and install the required
packages.  I think you will find that most of the servers have few
dependencies.  Don't bother trying to do this with something like KDE3.1
though.  Also, read about the various vulnerabilities.  Many require a
user account on the machine to exploit.  This might not be a problem
depending on your situation.

> So,
> I'm looking into upgrading..  I tried 9.0, but whenever I try to boot
> from the first CD, I just get a locked up machine with blinking keyboard
> lights.

I experienced this with one piece of hardware under 8.1, 8.2, 9.0,
9.1beta2, 9.1beta3, and 9.1rc2 so assume it is still a problem.  I don't
even know if it is a hardware bug, or a kernel bug.

I got this on my PNY Geforce4 Ti 4600 128MB card, even though an Albatron
Ti 4400 and Inno3D Geforce2 Pro 64 64MB worked fine.  This turns out to be
a problem between the BIOS on the video card and the framebuffer.  The
solution is to always boot with the "vga=normal" parameter.  This needs to
be in place during install and as an append in your lilo configuration at
the top global section and then again for each kernel entry (or adapt to
fix for grub, I don't use it).  To get by the install part, try pressing
F1 when prompted and then type "linux vga=normal".  Due to the memory in
your machine, I think you should be running the enterprise kernel as well.

> I like to test things out on my workstation before migrating it
> to my server.. The server handles PPPoE, NAT, dhcp, email, firewall,
> http, squid, etc for my home network.
> I just downloaded 9.1, so I'm gonna try it next.

M9.1 looks quite a bit different (new default theme), but I like it.  The
kernel in particular saves me tons of greif (laptop requiring ACPI).  I
still have to recompile from the kernel-source package, but can get away
with no patches at all.  I suggest anyone else with previous laptop
problems try this.