On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 23:31:40 +0100
Inhabitant of Zion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I like KDE. In fact I can't get on with Gnome at all. I was wondering if
> its because I started out as a windows user and migrated to *nix as I
> had a friend who really raved about Gnome and he was from a Unix
> background)

------------------- snip --------------------

Probably a lot of truth in that.  Reading between the lines on this list,
many of those using KDE, and liking it, seem to have Windows backgrounds.

My roots are in Unix, and I hated Windows from the start, so fvwm,
Gnome1.4/Sawfish|Enlightenment felt comfortable.  KDE made me shudder,
but I guess you don't have to use it like Windows (file managers, floating
icons, system menus, and all that jazz).  Gnome 2 is awful, the only reason
I cannot migrate from Mandrake 8.2 to 9.

It is certainly good that KDE is there to give Windows refugees some
familiar landmarks.  Without it there would be little hope of Linux providing
a viable alternative.

By the way, what was the subject of this thread?
--
Bob Hope on being 80:
80; that's the age when even your birthday suit needs pressing.