When starting Mandrake 9.1 now, I get the following message during boot
up:

ldm_validate_partition_table:  Disk read failed

If I boot in failsafe mode, soon after this message has passed, I get a
prompt asking if I want to change the owner of / to root:root.  I have
been saying yes each time, but each time I restart the system, I have to
restart in failsafe mode and I get the same as above.  Also, I notice on
shutdown that the shutting down of the display manager (dm) fails.

Any ideas as to what may have caused this and more importantly how to
fix?

Thanks,

Trey