On Tuesday 27 May 2003 11:45 pm, rikona wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In Win I use a search tool (dtSearch) to find info in a very large
> number of files (50,000+). This program indexes the files, and can
> find all results in a second or two with about 4-6Gb of files. It can
> also do quite complex boolean searches, including word proximity. It
> can display all the results, ranked as desired, and can directly
> display HTML, text, spreadsheets, Acrobat, and other formats. I've
> become quite attached to this and "can't live without it". :-)
>
> Is there a comparable tool for Mandrake?

Of course

Install the slocate package and then in a root terminal type
'updatedb'
It will index every file on your computer and you can perform a quick search
with the command 'slocate string'

The database will update itself weekly, but first you must install the
'anacron' package.
By default your Mandrake system will perform ots daily system maintenance at 4
a.m each morning. But of your computer is switched off at the time the daily
maintenamce will not run. Anacron will ensure the daily jobs get run 15 mins
after you switch on your computer.
(FYI: The daily jobs include emptying 'tmp' folders, compressing log files,
updating slocate databeses etc)

There two tips in one mail!

Have fun

derek