On Wednesday 28 May 2003 11:21 pm, Benjamin Jeeves wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I was drink a few beers and thinking about how bad the rail transport is in
> the UK it was on the news and it takes me two hours to get to uni and two
> hours back thats London for you.
>
> Now to the point is there a community like the open source one out there
> willing to hope any one who asks? or is it that the O/S is free and open
> that makes us all help each our out.

They are all over the place. The closest example is probably amateur radio,
but there are many others. (model-making, illegal CB radio in the UK,
computer clubs in the late 70s and early 80s) IMHO the common factor is
self-training. If someone askes me "how do I do X?" I ask myself if I want to
be bothered answering, I might jot down a few brief pointers. If he says "I
want to do X, I've read up on Y, but I'm confused about Z," I am much more
likely to see them as a kindred spirit and want to go to some lengths to
help.

The free bit is also an almost common factor though, in my experience. There
is an exileration to being in total control of the environment that might aid
the process. The sense that the answer is out there, and you can find it as
easily as anyone. DECUS might be a valid counter-example.

--
Richard Urwin