On Thu, 2003-05-29 at 08:21, Benjamin Jeeves wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I was drink a few beers and thinking about how bad the rail transport is in
> the UK it was on the news and it takes me two hours to get to uni and two
> hours back thats London for you.
>
> Now to the point is there a community like the open source one out there
> willing to hope any one who asks? or is it that the O/S is free and open that
> makes us all help each our out.

Part of the beauty of OSS/linux is that literally everyone/anyone wants
to give a hand - someone might know something and want to help; whereas
with a closed situation, you do have people that tend to "shut mouth"
and hold out - I dealt with that for years with MCSE's and other MS
"gurus" - when in fact they knew about as much as the next Joe down the
line and they just wanted to "appear" as though they were "gurus"...but
such is life.

With OSS at least you get a chance to dig into things a hec of a lot
deeper than you do with closed source.

Each and every one of us has the ability to dig into the kernel - if
need be - or any other aspect of the system - and ask viable questions
without fear that we're treading on "sacred ground".

Around 1997/1998 I was tasked with setting up an MS Exchange server for
Siemens - we had licensing from MS and support from MS. Even on the
simplest terms, it could/would take upwards of a week to get an answer
(and generally not the right answer) from them; such as it is today.

With linux, as a for instance, I wanted to get an IMAP server up and
running about three years ago - running RHL - every question I had was
answered within a day - the server was up and running happily within
four days. I was helped by not only the "writers" of the code, but end
users that had particular setups/configurations/problems - you're not
going to get that kind of rapport and support from a closed source
avenue.

I'll get off my soap box now.

--
Thu May 29 10:45:00 EST 2003
 10:45:00 up 1 day, 13:18,  5 users,  load average: 0.17, 0.32, 0.24

 nappster.com: Download any celebrity from A.A. Milne to Z.Z. Top