On Fri, 2003-05-30 at 20:08, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I have installed the Geforce drivers from the Nvidia website, installed them
> as per instructions, including the modification of the XFreeConfig-4 file,
> changing nv to nvidia etc....
>
> Now the problem I have is that I have my PC set to automatically boot to X,
> only it fails and drops me to a command line.
>
> The error in the Xfree log, is something along the lines of 'cannot find
> display' module not loaded.
>
> I can however issue a 'insmod nvidia' then 'startx' and X will open up fine
> (the nvidia splash screen loads fine, and open GL games (tux etc..) work OK)
>
> Any suggestions on what might be causing the failure ? Or how to I
> automatically do a 'insmod nvidia' on boot up so that X loads as it should
> ???
>
> Thanks for any suggestions,
>
> Jamie

Try running (in a console/terminal)

depmod -a

...then reboot and try it again.

Something is definitely wrong if the nvidia driver isn't loading in your
/etc/modules.conf - so this should, SHOULD help...give it a go and tell
us what happens...

--
Fri May 30 20:30:00 EST 2003
 20:30:00 up  5:39,  4 users,  load average: 1.40, 1.29, 1.63

But I always fired into the nearest hill or, failing that, into blackness.
I meant no harm;  I just liked the explosions.  And I was careful never to
kill more than I could eat.
                -- Raoul Duke