On Fri, 30 May 2003 01:37:14 +0100
Derek Jennings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> There are two basic ways to compile an app.
> In the first you start off with a 'tarball' (A .tar.gz compressed file)
> containing the source code. You run ./configure to configure it for your
> environment, and then 'make' to compile it, and 'make install' to install it.
> That sounds easy, but during the configure stage it will check you have all
> the correct development libraries installed, and it can take some time to
> track them all down. (They will almost always be on your CDs) The other issue
> is that anything installed this way will not show up in the package database
> which can cause confusion when you add/upgrade packages later.

Really? I thought checkinstall made rpms of these tarballs, and then
installed them. Once you've installed checkinstall, then just run TWO
commands: ./configure, and checkinstall (as root). That's all!

John Drouhard
--
Fri May 30 16:09:00 UTC 2003
They told me to install Windows 98 or better, so I installed Linux.