On Sunday 01 June 2003 10:02 pm, g wrote:

>>> snipped

> how many newbies use html? too damn many.
-- Mostly because they don't realize that (1) there is an option, (2) using
HTML can be hazardous, (3) HTML is inefficient, (4) form != substance,  and
(5) they're fishing with the wrong bait. On the good side, AFAIK we've never
gotten a posting using 30 pt Gothic Cyrillian script font on a mauve
background with embedded audio and video clips.

> how many newbies take time to read help files? very few.
-- So-called help files often aren't. Sadly, this problem is not confined to
the MS world. What newbies need to be told about are man, info, apropos...
where to find the archives, and other sources. Google's useful, too.

> how many newbies make there first question 'how do i send plain text'? none
-- And why would they know? They're newbies.

> how many experts use html to reply to an html newbie? too damn many.
-- Not that I've noticed, but I'm not going to argue the point. Most of the
HTML posts from long-timers that I've seen are from folks who are at work
where HTML is the accepted standard.

> most every one who subscribes to this list is aware that there is a request
> for subscribers to use 'text/plain'.
-- You are making the assumption that people actually read the instructions
beforehand and, for those who do, that they understand the difference between
HTML and plain text. FWIW, I made a suggestion a while back that new
subscribers be required to verify that they had read the terms of usage
before they were granted access. The response was less than underwhelming.

> there is no excuse for any user of aol, eudora, mozilla, kmail, ximian,
> ole, or multitude of other email progs, to send text/html. yet they do.
-- Sure there is: They don't know any better.

> why? because they really do not give a damn about anyone but them selves.
> or so it seems, because they continue to send text/html.
-- See above

> crawl my butt, flame me, call me what ever you want to, but i still contend
> that there is no reason for anyone on this list to send text/html.
-- See above

> so, raise hell with me about 'pitiful, poor newbies' who can not help but
> send html.
-- See above

> but, before you show how little you are aware of, check this site;
>
>   http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
-- And how are newbies supposed to know about that address? Hell, I'm willing
to bet that lots of long time users, including me, never heard of it.

> and for those using eudora, i suggest you check iss sight to see how unsafe
> eudora is, even when using text/plain.
-- I'm cool here. Never used Eudora.

> btw. anne, this is not in any way reflecting towards you. it is just that i
> did not care to go thru all of these unnecessary post and find one to use
> for reply. and no, i have never said that i was not lazy.
-- What's wrong with lazy?

> peace out.
>
> tc,hago.

> .
> --
> =+=
> think green...
>   save a tree, save a life, save time, save bandwidth, save storage.
>   send email:  text/plain - disable pgp/gpg/geek code attachments.
> =+=
>  if you are proud to be an american, then buy "made in america".
-- I try, but there isn't much of that around anymore.

-- cmg