On Tuesday 03 Jun 2003 2:36 pm, DrewMartin wrote:
> Hi All,
>          I'm having problems installing new software.I download the
> Tarball,SU into root from a console.Untar to a temp folder,but the programs
> don't go to my start up(they end up in my home folder),and when I try to
> use them they work,but will not save the work as a usable file.I end up
> with a open with box that does not hold the program name,so I can't use the
> file. Do I need to boot to Root Desktop to make them work when I install
> them,and how do I do this?
> Also I have found I can send mail from Evolution,but not from Kmail,but
> both will receive with no problems,I have looked at the help files and got
> nowhere,the mail is sent but never ends up where it is going i.e. this
> list. Cheers,
>                                                              Drew.

Most applications that come in tarballs need to be compiled before they can
run. You need to cd to the folder in your home then run ./configure followed
by 'make' and 'make install' as root (or 'checkinstall' if you have the
checkinstall package installed)

But almost any application you might want is available as a Mandrake RPM
package which for a newbie is a *lot* easier to install. So what packages are
we talking about here?

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net