"Thomas J. Hamman" wrote:

> On 01-Oct-99 Alan Shoemaker wrote:
> > Axalon Bloodstone wrote:

> >> I wouldn't recommend it, it's just as broken as the 4.61. (everybody
> >> remebers the segfault on link insertion right?)
> >>

> >> --
> >> MandrakeSoft          http://www.mandrakesoft.com/
> >>                                         --Axalon
> >                           --Axalon
> >
> > EXCUSE ME!!  That statement really puts me off!  4.61 is what is in
> > Mandrake's updates for 6.0!!??  It was recommended in this forum as an
> > acceptable fix for the problems associated with 4.5.  Now you say this
> > new (4.7) version is just as bad as the fix we had for the Mandrake 6.0
> > distribution (which I still am using).  Well, what's that mean,
> > EXACTLY!!??  If 4.7 is just as bad as 4.61 then upgrading to it
> > shouldn't be any more of a problem than continuing to use 4.61, or
> > should it??!!  Sheeesh!!!!
>
> Whoah, calm down.  Right now any version of Netscape compiled with glibc has
> some problems, because Mandrake uses a newer version of glibc than the one
> Netscape is being compiled with.  However, I think the version of Netscape 4.61
> currently being used by Mandrake is compiled with the older libc5, which clears
> up the problems.  I think Axalon may have meant that the glibc version of 4.7
> doesn't clear up the problems that the earlier versions compiled with glibc had.
>
> I'm using Netscape 4.7 (glibc version) right now and it's working just peachy
> (but so did the glibc version of 4.6, for me), but then again I don't use
> Composer, just Navigator; for the fun of it I fired up Composer and tried
> adding a link to a webpage just now, and it predictably crashed.
>
> I think they also provide a libc5 version of 4.7, though, and I assume that
> should work as well as the 'stable' 4.61.
>
> The download time isn't really worth it though; as far as I can tell, the only
> things they add are integration with AOL Instant Messenger (oh whoopee),
> 'Netscape Radio', and a button on the toolbar that says 'Shop'.  The first one
> is Windows-only of course, and the second one is unuseable because it only
> works with a PLUGIN of RealPlayer G2, of which a Linux version does not yet
> exist.  And the last one is nothing more than a bookmark in the more intrusive
> form of a button, to a page on their Netcenter site with links to shopping
> sites.  As if we couldn't find cdnow.com and amazon.com on our own, and as if
> we're really gullible enough to accept that advertising as being some kind of
> nifty new feature (well okay I guess some people are that gullible, but not many
> of them are using Linux.)
>
> -Tom

Tom....hmmmmm....ok, so I shouldn't fire off a reply just after opening
mail containing a yearly property tax bill....grrrrr. (-:  I'm currently
using the 4.61 from the 6.0 updates mirror.  Every time I sign-on my
bank's web site they bug me about updating my browser or they'll cut off
my access (has to do with 128 bit encryption).  Well this seemed like a
good time to upgrade the encryption, by downloading the new version and
getting it with the 128 bit encryption.  When I went to download it
there was another choice to pay $5.95 and they's send a CD.  That seemed
like a good idea, so I did and now I'm waiting for it to arrive.  But I
do believe that I ordered the glibc version.  Rats!  (-:

Alan