Hello Leon,

First, a word of warning. I'm a relative newbie, but I did do
something similar to what you want. Experts - please correct my
suggestions if need be.

First thing I would suggest is to make an 'orig' copy of every .conf
file!!! Especially smb.conf, the samba configuration file. You will be
setting up samba to do the file sharing and printer sharing. I found
the conf file to be helpful in understanding what the GUI
configuration is changing. Running the GUI overwrites the conf file,
and almost all the useful comments are lost!

Sunday, June 8, 2003, 7:57:52 AM, you wrote:

LA> "main" PC is a Win2k workstation box that is sharing printers and
LA> drives "laptop" is running Mandrake 9.1

I saw a suggestion to install 'printer sharing for unix' in Win2000
and did it. It is on the Win2000 install disks.

LA> printers are a Samsung ML-1430 laser and an HP Photosmart 1115

I believe Samsung drivers are on the Mandrake disks. Whew. :-))

LA> I will take my answers in teh form of "go read this HOWTO" or "xxx
LA> application is the key grasshopper

For samba, I had the best luck with webmin, not the MD control center.
Open a console, 'su' to root, run webmin as root. Servers tab, Samba
Win File Sharing. Set workgroup, name [in server description], use
'share level' security. Use encrypted passwords, enter the MD
directory to share [probably /home/yourname].

Use MD control center to install the printer. Should have both file
and printer sharing.

In linux, other shares must be 'mounted' in order to use them. Run
LinNeighborhood, browse to the comp you want, and mount the
directories you need. These mount points will be in file:/mnt, and
you can see them with konqueror.

BTW - you might want to change your mailer to send replies to the list
instead of you.

HTH...

--

 rikona                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]