Hello dfox,

Saturday, June 7, 2003, 2:01:00 PM, you wrote:

d> find/grep is pretty fast but what the OP might be interested in is
d> an indexing tool, especially if there are many text files,

There are many text files, but also Word docs, spreadsheets, pdf
files, etc. I have info in all these files, and would like to index
all of it, and view it easily.

d> One tool, for example is glimpse.

I checked out glimpse. It is a text indexer, and can do some
sophisticated searches. It requires a plugin to handle Word & Excel
and another for pdfs, and seems not to be able to handle other file
types. It does not seem to have a good 'browse' capability after the
search is done.

A good start at an excellent tool. Part of the problem, for me, is
that it has to be compiled from source. As a newbie, I don't know how
to do that in a way that will work in MD.

It is a commercial tool, but is free for personal use, but 'free'
comes with no support.

Any other tools come to mind?

--
Thank you,
 rikona                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]