On Friday 13 June 2003 02:01 am, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> * Double check all your system path(s) in the /etc/profile, the .bashrc
> of your home account, the /etc/ld.so.conf

.bashrc looks okay - I have a lot of aliases in there but they are valid.

ld.co.conf looks like this:
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/lib/qt3/lib
/usr
/usr/lib
/usr/local/lib

and here is /etc/profile

# /etc/profile -*- Mode: shell-script -*-
# (c) MandrakeSoft, Chmouel Boudjnah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

loginsh=1

# Users generally won't see annoyng core files
[ "$UID" = "0" ] && ulimit -S -c 1000000 > /dev/null 2>&1

if ! echo ${PATH} |grep -q /usr/X11R6/bin ; then
    PATH="$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin"
fi

if [ "$UID" -ge 500 ] && ! echo ${PATH} |grep -q /usr/games ; then
    export PATH=$PATH:/usr/games
fi

umask 022

USER=`id -un`
LOGNAME=$USER
MAIL="/var/spool/mail/$USER"
HISTCONTROL=ignoredups
HOSTNAME=`/bin/hostname`
HISTSIZE=1000

if [ -z "$INPUTRC" -a ! -f "$HOME/.inputrc" ]; then
    INPUTRC=/etc/inputrc
fi

# some old programs still use it (eg: "man"), and it is also
# required for level1 compliance for LI18NUX2000
NLSPATH=/usr/share/locale/%l/%N

export PATH PS1 USER LOGNAME MAIL HOSTNAME INPUTRC NLSPATH
export HISTCONTROL HISTSIZE

for i in /etc/profile.d/*.sh ; do
        if [ -x $i ]; then
                . $i
        fi
done

unset i

> * Rerun ldconfig

DId that.

> * Disable any services that are running that you seriously don't need.

Always do that from the get-go.

> * Delete any core.* files laying around

Found none.

> * Check the size of your SWAP

Now here's an odd one - df and kdisk neither one show a swap? Is there some
trick to seeing it? (IIRC it always showed up before)

> * Do an fsck on your / partition from the first installation CD

Off a fresh install? And after having it happen before the new install? What
are the odds one that one off a 2-3 month old Maxtor drive? Its ReiserFS.

> * Do an "updatedb" from "single user mode"

Tried that one already.

> * Cross your fingers

Yeah.                 ;-)

--