Ralph Bagwell wrote:

I am still embarrassed to post because you "newbies" seem light years ahead of me - oh well.
I downloaded and installed with zero problems "amsn" a messenger program very like Windows Messenger. I actually swapped a few lines with a friend. I closed Konqueror and promptly my "chat" window went away. Now I don't know how to start messenger program again. A new msn subdirectory is now present but I can't find an exe file anywhere to start the messenger program .
Please tell me how to run the program and put an icon on the desktop - thanks - from a real newbie.

I use a program called gaim to chat with people on MSN, it comes with MDK9.1 but i found it easier to install a newer version that had the msn plug-in installed (rather than mess around with the version that comes with mandrake 9.1).

make sure you have urpmi set up properly with texstar as a source, this page can help with that: http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/urpmiweb.php

then (as root) type into a console: urpmi gaim

then (using the updated version of gaim you will find under networking/instant messaging in the kde menu) it is pretty fool proof to set up an account and chat with people on MSN (click on accounts, select add, choose msn as protocol, put in a user name and password, and viola!)

To get the icon on the desktop in KDE click 'n drag gaim from instant messaginge menu to the desktop. When given the option choose "link here".

From one newb to another, hope this helps. Joe.