Kaj Haulrich wrote:
On Saturday 14 June 2003 11:52 pm, Robin Turner wrote:

Kaj Haulrich wrote:

Recently we had a discussion on virus (pluralis : vira).

Sorry to be pedantic, but the plural of "virus" in English is "viruses". The -a suffix is the plural for, IIRC, second declension neuter nouns. If you want the Latin plural, it's "viri" (NOT "virii" - that would ony be the case if the singular were "virius").

Latin is a horrible language.

OK Stephen and sir Robin, thanks for the correction. Nevertheless it still puzzles me, why M$ pulls those virus-filters off the net ? One could say that Linux mailservers with RAV on them act like vacuumcleaners in a very dusty room (the Net). By turning them off all the viri in the world will hit those windows-boxes like flies are attracted to other kinds of s***.

Good point. Why should people running Linux go out of their way to protect people running Windows?

Sir Robin

--
"Some guy breaking into a government computer system and wreaking havoc
makes for a more interesting movie plot than some guy writing device

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Univeritesi
Ankara 06533