On Monday 16 June 2003 21:25, you wrote:
> It sounds like they are trying to make networking as difficult as
> possible by making it necessary to use a crossover cable to connect to
> the modem.  I don't believe that going into the hub would work for you
> because of the crossover cable issue.

Well, they supplied a crossover cable, but I had an extra regular cable and I
tried hooking it to the hub with that and that was when my wife's machine
could see it. So I thought that perhaps I could just switch back to that.

> The cheapest and quickest way to get your wife online would be to
> install a second network card and enable Internet Connection Sharing
> using the Mandrake Control Center.  I think you would need a second
> crossover cable to get from the second NIC in the Mandrake box to your
> wife's Windows box.

Well, the hub should work, I don't think I need a second crossover cable. Its
been working for a long time, I was using it to network PPP connections.
Granted nott the best solution but then where we were for a while there was
no DSL access at all. Its only now that we have it, and ironically we're out
in the boonies whereas we were in the midst of a fairly good size city and we
couldn't get DSL or cable. Anyway, that's neither here nor there. The point
is that I don't think I need a crossover because the hub does work between
our two computers.

Tom Williams