Langsley T Russell wrote:

Hi again John.

I made the additional change you suggested to my lilo,conf file it now reads,
image=/boot/vmlinuz
label=linux
root=/dev/hda6
initrd=/boot/initrd.img
append="devfs=mount hdb=ide-scsi"
read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
label=failsafe
root=/dev/hda6
initrd=/boot/initrd.img
append="failsafe devfs=nomount hdb=ide-scsi"
read-only

Yep those are correct.

But still no CDRW drive. When I rebooted just now, I got the same "FAILED special device /dev/scd1 does not exist" again. I checked /dev to see if there is a scd1 there and there is not. Nor is there an hdb.

It has to be that line in your fstab about the scd1 which of course you don't have. your first scsi-emulated device is always scd0,

I'm as certain as I can be that I have the jumpers set correctly. I did change the jumpers on the CDRW to slave when I installed it. Also I was able to access the CDRW drive and even "burn" a couple of CDs before logging off. yesterday.

I'm not sure about this, cann't see why one cannot have a harddrive and a writer on the same ide line, just so long as they are either cable select of set master and slave, and as you say it has worked once. If removing the scd1 line from fstab doesn't make it work then, like me , I think I would try automount first before rushing out to buy another ide cable. It is quite easy to auto mount , you just # out the supermount line, and then write the automount line, which I have given you but I can easily do that again for you.

Now the drive doesn't appear on my hardware list. Perhaps a separate cable is the only answer??

this is suggesting to me that something is confusing the system as to what is what.

OK post your fstab again here and let me see how it now is after you have removed that bit about scd1.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]