On Friday 20 June 2003 11:38 am, Isaac Curtis wrote:
> Okay, I realize that 9/10 of my problems come from the fact I'm running
> 8.0, but I don't have any $ to get ahold of 9.1.  I've never done an
> install except off CDs so could someone explain to me exactly what I'm
> doing or RTFM me to the appropriate howto?  I've gotten myself as far as
> this page - http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/ftp.php3 - now I just need to
> figure out what I need to DL and what I need to do with it once I've got
> it.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks!
>
> Isaac

Darned easy, really.  Copy the downloaded Mandrake to a partition on your
harddrive (Windows, ext or ReiserFS).  Be careful to maintain the hierarchy
exactly as it would appear on the installation disks.  You need a separate
partition so that you can format all the other partitions, leaving the
partiton containing the disks intact.  On Dsk_1 there is a /images directory
with an "hd.img" which is the hard-disk install floppy image.  The
Install.txt (also under Dsk_1) has a howto with instructions to make a
bootdisk for the install.  That is under the "Other Installation Methods"
header of the Install.txt.