* Inhabitant of Zion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [030621 07:13]:
> vi is great isn't it! I find even having used it a lot I still forget to press i
> before I start typing!
>
> Most annoying thing is when you do a load of changes and then go to save using shift
> ZZ and it tells you that it is a read only file! D'oh!
>
> Never managed to get it to overide the permissions and save anyway. SUre there must
> be a way.

Have you tried
:w!

Or, if you do not have write permission and are not the owner of the
file, you can try saving it as a different filename:

:w newfilename

If that doesn't work, it probably means that you don't have write
permissions in the directory.  I would then switch to a different
console (or xterm) and fix the ownerships/permissions, and then save
the file.

If there is an easier way, I don't know it.

--
Jan Wilson, SysAdmin     _/*];          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Corozal Junior College   |  |:'  corozal.com corozal.bz