Title: RE: [newbie] Installing new hard drive...how?

Sorry if this shows up as HTML. But have to ask if you have checked the bios and made sure that ide2 is active. One or the other of the ide connections can be turned off in bios. The ide buss is what your hard drive ribbons connect to on the motherboard. HTH Dennis M.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Anne Wilson
Sent: Monday, June 23, 2003 12:15 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Installing new hard drive...how?

On Monday 23 Jun 2003 5:27 pm, Crak600 - Michael wrote:
> ok, since my new ram showed up this morning (system is now up to
> 768MB), i decided it was time to install the ram and the hard
> drive.  opened up the computer to check where everything was on the
> ribbons and see where i'm going to plug in the hard drive.  the
> current hard drive and CDRW are on the same ribbon (havn't checked
> to see which is slave and which is master yet). from the posts
> others have left about data transferring from one drive to the next
> and bottlenecking, i figure the best way to set this up is to put
> the new hard drive as a slave to the floppy drive.  well, the
> connector on the ribbon for the floppy drive isn't the right size
> for the new hard drive, and the ribbon the CDRW and other hard
> drive are on only has 2 connections.  so i have to go out and buy a
> new ribbon.  figures!

Hold it - you can't put a hdd on a floppy connector - that's why the
cable is a different size - it has fewer wires.

> my only other possibility is to use the 3rd IDE connection on the
> motherboard, BUT, the motherboard wasn't new when i got it.  bought
> it from a friend who assembled the computer for me.  he tried to
> put the floppy, hard drive, and cdrw drive each on their own
> ribbon, but said the 3rd ribbon port on the motherboard wouldn't
> work.  he couldn't figure out why.  i can try to use it, but he
> took his time putting the computer together and couldn't get it to
> work no matter what he tried.  i'll have to wait 3 more weeks til
> he gets back from his honeymoon to get into detail with him on
> everything he tried.

You could try the other connector again - Make sure that you have the
jumper set to 'master' and the bios set to auto-detect for each
drive.  Check whether the bios is seeing the drive.

Another ribbon will not help you - 2 devices per ribbon is your max.
What might help is an add-on pci card that will give you additional
drive connectors.

Anne