Okay, some progress.  I managed to login as root.  I think I was just
logging in at the wrong place.  Checked /var/log/messages.  From there I
found out that the sequence of messages leading up to the error was:

1. Jun 23 18:09:07 localhost kde3 (pam_unix)[12697]: session opened for user
root by (uid=0)

2. Jun 23 18:09:07 [22437]: warning: can't get client address: transport
endpoint is not connected

3. Jun 23 19:09:07 localhost xinetd[22437]:libwrap refused connection to
sgi_fam from <no address>

4. Jun 23 18:09:07 localhostrc: stopping kheader succeeded

The last 3 messages loop over and over with changes in the numbers but
identical otherwise ( I tried to reproduce the messages as closely as
possible, but they may vary slightly).  These messages repeat until I reboot
the system.

Can any one decipher these and explain what is happening?