On Tuesday 24 June 2003 01:06 am, Tom Brinkman wrote:

<snip>
> Probly the most Draconian software limitations exist in
> Northern Europe. Sweden's fixin to outlaw everything as far as
> user free rights and access to proprietary software (ie,
> illegal to even d/l, a pending law, but close to passing).
> What's not on the block for oulawin, is heavily taxed. The
> only places to not cross paths with copyright holders and
> such, is where everything is not un-legal or unchallenged (ie,
> lawless, no lawyers or politicians). Antarctica? Syria? Iran?
> N. Korea? ...
</snip>

You may be right, Tom. But here's how it works :

It's not just software. We Scandinavians live in totalitarian
states, where the gap between what's illegal and what's
mandatory is microscopic. Now, having all those politicians,
suits, bureaucrats, desk-weenies and lawyers harassing us all
the time is - of course - incompatible with life. Accordingly,
we don't care about the law anymore : In Norway and Sweden the
national pass-time is bootlegging, in Denmark it's moonshining
and smuggling. Likewise with software : DVD-Jon of Norway is a
national hero, no matter what a judge on the M$-payroll decides.

Kaj Haulrich
Denmark.
--
Registered Linux user  # 214073 at http://counter.li.org