On Wednesday 25 June 2003 06:26 pm, Len Lawrence wrote:
> A new problem.  Asus A7V333 motherboard with RAID disabled - Promise
> controller.  Only ide0 and ide1 visible to the BIOS.  I need to plug
> in an old IDE drive in ide2 or ide3.  I assume that RAID has to be
> enabled for the BIOS (and Linux) to see these slots, but I do not want
> to use RAID.  Just want to have a third IDE slot.  The manual only
> talks about setup for RAID proper and all the discussions on the net
> seem to assume that people will always want RAID 0, 1 or whatever.
> First, is it possible to bypass the RAID setting, and second, will
> changing the jumper wipe or damage the data in any way, on either
> ide0 (hda) or ide2 (hdc)?

Most likely you don't have to do anything to use those channels as standard
IDE devices.  You don't say whether you have a highpoint of promise solution,
but I use both my hard drives on a Highpoint controller, and the drives are
autodetected on each boot and the kernel finds and uses the devices no
problem.  I had the same experience with a promise fasttrack pci card
version.
--
Greg