On Monday 30 June 2003 08:18 pm, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> GRIP does it, XMMS can do it (with the proper plugin) - there are heaps
> other MP3/Ogg players that will do basically the same thing...

Yes, I have both GRIP and XMMS. I like them a lot. This is something just
slightly different. Its reading the MP3 its self and getting tag information
from the CDDB for that MP3. I'm not exactly sure how its done, but I would
guess that it is reading the file name and doing a lookup on that. Perhaps
there's some sort of internal serial number that's carried from the CD, but I
don't think so. This program I mentioned on the Windows side does this, its
called MusicMatch. Its a full-blown CD player/ripper and MP3 player. It has
some nice features, but its another one of those that limits the features and
keeps pointing out if you buy the pro version you get many more features.
Plus it is a _windows_ app.

I seriously doubt there is a linux equivalent. This was just something that my
wife pointed out that her MusicMatch could do and I wanted to point out Linux
will do that too, but perhaps not. We all the time have a sort of
debate/argument as to which is better. Of course she keeps pointing out how
she hasn't had as many problems with her windows as I've had with my Linux,
yet at the same time she has to reboot several times a day because it gets
loaded up with system resources, I'm still running on a boot up from several
days ago, but that's another story for another post. :)

Tom Williams