On Monday 30 June 2003 07:34 pm, Todd Slater wrote:
> Far as I know, cddb is just for cd's.

Tha'ts what I thought too, but my wife has MusicMatch and she's demonstrated
it taking an MP3 and getting CDDB information on it. I suspect its just
reading the file name and doing a search on that.

> If it's an mp3, the tag needs to have been written to the mp3 itself.
> xmms will display this information, for example when you are viewing the
> playlist editor, click "misc" then "info".

Yup, I use it all the time. That's part of the problem. I was using an old
version of winamp when I was still running windows all the time. That version
would query the database and set the filename to artist and song title, it
didn't set the tags. I've been going through and trying to update all of my
MP3s. I would just re-rip the CDs but they have been put into storage of
sorts and it would be a hassle to get them here just to re-rip them.

> There are command-line tools that will let you read the id3 tags (try
> mp3info?). Also, there's a big ol gui program that'll let you
> write/modify id3 tags for mp3's and ogg's, called easytag.

I've been using MP3Info. Its very simple and for just setting the tags works
well. Its just that my wife has been saying that she can do it all from
MusicMatch and suggested there should be an equivalent in Linux. Anything
that could even semi-automatically set tags would be sweet to say the least.

Tom Williams