I am running my own irc server using the mandrake contrib ircd rpm..

actually, I downloaded the src rpm and recompiled it with a few changes
allowing me to use /kill and enabling services (though I have not found any
services available for that version of ircd, so that was kinda pointless..
but
/kill is cool.)

If you want to run  your own leaf.. then you would probably be better off
grabbing a
newer more maintained ircd.. the one mandrake offer is not really developed
anymore
as far as I can tell..

As an alternative, there is a perl ircd daemon available somewhere on
freshmeat or
sourceforge that seems pretty cool. and mozilla.org have a perl bott as
well.

just FYI.

rgds

Franki