I have 23 days uptime, and winbindd was taking 58% of memory. (I have
320MB) 100% swap space used, everything on a go-slow. The Windows
machine is switched off most of the time, including all the time when I
noticed the problem. service -f smb made no difference so I sent it a
HUP and it died, releasing the memory again.

This is MDK9.1

What is winbindd? Is this linneighbourhood? If so I can probably
uninstall it, I don't think I need it on this setup.
Has anybody seen this behavior?
Any ideas on how to stop it doing it again?
What functionality will I have lost by killing it, and if I need to
restart it how do I do so without rebooting?

TIA,

--
Richard Urwin