On June 30, 2003 10:55 pm, Frankie wrote:
> I am running my own irc server using the mandrake contrib ircd rpm..
>
> actually, I downloaded the src rpm and recompiled it with a few changes
> allowing me to use /kill and enabling services (though I have not found any
> services available for that version of ircd, so that was kinda pointless..
> but
> /kill is cool.)
>
> If you want to run  your own leaf.. then you would probably be better off
> grabbing a
> newer more maintained ircd.. the one mandrake offer is not really developed
> anymore
> as far as I can tell..
>
> As an alternative, there is a perl ircd daemon available somewhere on
> freshmeat or
> sourceforge that seems pretty cool. and mozilla.org have a perl bott as
> well.
>
> just FYI.
>
> rgds
>
> Franki

You can also download bauhmut (????) the ircd that DAL uses from thier web
site.  Nice touch there on the FAQ about there never will be a windoze
version. :-)

All previous warnings about running an IRC server without your ISP's
permission apply unless, of course, you are an ISP.  In that case be very
prepared to shape and restrict traffic to that IP.

ttfn

John