On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 20:15, Wade Waldron wrote:
> Okay, maybe some more background is needed.  When I run the mandrake
> configuration utility, and look under the listed hardware I have a few
> unknown devices (like my network adapter).  I have looked around and
> found that my network adapter probably uses the pegasus driver.  I
> would like to set it up to use that driver to see if that will work.
> I can not see anywhere in the Configuration utility that allows me to
> assign a driver to a device.  When I highlight the device, there are
> no options buttons or configuration buttons that show up.  When I
> right or left click I get nothing.  On the Right hand side it shows
> that there is no module loaded for that device so I try clicking there
> and nothing happens.  None of the menus have any options that suggest
> I can do that.  I ran the networking wizard, but nothing there seemed
> to help because it can't seem to find my network adapter (presumably
> because it is an unknown device) besides, that won't help with my
> other devices like my CD-RW.  There must be a way to manually assign a
> driver to a device, but for the life of me, I can not seem to find it.
>
> Thanks,
> Wade

I've got a suggestion that might work for you.  Drakconf detects
hardware changes when a system is booted.  What you could do is shut the
system down, pull the network card, boot it back up, answer the
configuration questions such that there is no network card, and then
shut the system down again.

Reinstall the network card and boot the system.  Drakconf should go thru
a detection routine and your network card will be redetected.

If the system cannot then detect the card properly, you are left with
two choices.  Either get a supported card, or manually configure the
driver that you actually need into the config files with vi.  Assuming
that it will work with your card.  I can help with the manual config
changes if you need it.

Let me know how it goes. :)

--LX

--
Linux Mandrake 9.1      Kernel 2.4.21-0.13mdk