My comments are down the bottom..

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Anne Wilson

On Thursday 17 Jul 2003 10:38 am, Frankie wrote:
> If you install fetchmail on your system and configure it to collect
> your pop3 mail..
>
> it will by default hand your mail to postfix which will pass it to
> procmail for local delivery..
>
> I have been doing it that way for ages..
>
> Here is an example .fetchmailrc
>
> set postmaster "postmaster"
> set bouncemail
> set no spambounce
> set daemon 1000
> set logfile /var/log/mail/fetchmail
>
> poll pop.xxx.xxx.com with proto POP3
>        user 'xxxxxxx' there with password 'xxxxxxxx' is 'franki'
> here options fetchall
>
> That will run fetchmail as a daemon and it will check for mail
> every 1000 seconds.
> any mail it collects is handed to postfix. (which on my system uses
> amavis-new,
> Trend filescan for linux and Spamassassin to scan the mail for spam
> and viri)
> and then postfix hands the mail to procmail for local delivery.
> (which the other
> machines on your lan can use pop3 to collect.)
>
> hope that helps..
>

> regards
>
> Franki

Franki - how do you handle false-positives from SpamAssassin?  I
presume that you somehow filter the marked messages to a junk folder?
How do you then get a false positive accepted and forwarded to the
correct recipient?

Anne

Ann, all messages scanned by the system have info added to the header,
Here is an example from your very email:

That indicates it was scanned for Virus..

If the message is detected as spam.. it not only has ***SPAM*** added to
the subject, it has the reason added to the headers.. like so:

So there is plenty of stuff by which to setup filter rules.

I have setup two mail accounts on the system.. ham, and spam

When I get a false positive, (happens sometimes with my PC wholesaler
pricelists)
I "redirect" or "resend" the email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] from my pc, since that
mail
account goes to my postfix MTA to be delivered, [EMAIL PROTECTED] is determined
to be for
local user ham on the server. ditto when the occasional spam gets though, I
resend it to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and the server gets a copy.

I have a crontab that daily runs:
/usr/bin/sa-learn --spam --mbox /var/spool/mail/spam
for spam
and
/usr/bin/sa-learn --ham --mbox /var/spool/mail/ham
for ham.

Basically they tell spamassassin to look to those mail box's for examples of
spam
and ham that it should learn from.

That way the bayes DB in spamassassin can learn to identify spam better and
not
false positive as much..

I have been running this way for along time now, and generally the false
positives
and false negatives have been few and far between.

The System:
- Trend filescan is Free.
- Trophie is an open source daemon that uses parts of Trend filescan to
create a very fast
daemon based virus scanner, makes mail much much faster as filescan is not r
equired to
start up each time a new mail goes in or out.
- amavis-new is an open source perl daemon that links with postfix.
- spamassassin is also an open source perl daemon (with some c binaries)

Its proven to be a very effective setup overall, and very fast considering
what it does.

I get around 1500+ mail going through this system every day.. and about 60
or more of them are
spam.. about 2 are virus's.. no virus's have ever gotten through and less
then one in 1000 spam
is incorrectly detected.

Oh yeah, and as an added footnote, redirecting or resending mail is not the
same as forwarding.
forwarding changes headers and stuff, whereas the former two methods do
not..

hope someone finds that handy..

Its alittle time consumming to set all that up initially, but once you do,
chances are you
won't have to touch it much.. even trophie updates its virus patters
automatically.
(script supplied with it.)

Maybe one day I will write a tutorial explaining how to set it all up.. its
not very difficult
but alittle time consuming. (you won't get any change from around 2 hours).

regards

Franki