On Tue, 2003-07-22 at 18:49, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 Jul 2003 4:37 pm, Harv Nelson wrote:
  <SNIP>
> > I could never understand why recording artists did NOT immediately
> > latch on to some "nickle-a-pop" revision "napster", etc. and make
> > it their own.
> >
> I wonder if there's a catch we don't know about, or whether it's just
> that they think they'll never get anywhere without the contract.  It
> seems to be an ideal answer, but obviously many artists aren't
> convinced.

The catch is the advance. The recording co. puts up a couple of million,
provides studio time, publicity, 'meet the press', grooming, video,
etc., etc. THEN takes the cost of all this from the advance. Often hear
'musicians' compalining they didn't realise that when the company bought
everybody in the pub a bottle of champage as a publicity stunt (e.g.),
they'd be paying for it. Just about all the advance is gone & they're
tied to the company. If they try to get out they don't make another
album (e.g. Hazel O'Connor)

Paul M.