I had a thought on this that "might" be feasable..

Isn't there some command line switches that tell urpmi to
only download not install???

Could not the download of updates be done as a user and then
su to install them manually??

Another thought:
I imagine that wget is not running as root when
downloading anyway, cos generally that sort of behaviour is
frowned
upon as not terribly safe.. so since all this stuff is perl
code, you
can look though and find what uid/gid wget is invoked with..

The urpmi devolopers on cooker could probably help you with
that.

Just some thoughts that might give you somewhere to start
looking.

rgds

Franki